Wednesday, January 29, 2014

The Roommate Situation That Lasted For a Night

I was ready to move out.  There were too many people in my place, we were all sick of each other anyways.  I went over to this woman's house who said I could rent a room for four hundred a month in some blue two bedroom place out in Moonridge.  She told me to bring a bottle of vodka.  I complied.

Everything seemed relatively normal at first.  She said I could put a lock on the door, and nevermind her three kids.  She had recently had a baby, the father she said had beat the shit out of her and the thirteen year old girl, so he ended up back in prison for two years.  He had sent her some love letter out of the pen, but well, she was already married to another person who had been sentenced to prison for a longer sentence, offense undisclosed.  Her mother who had lived in the room prior was arrested on two felony assault charges involving her boyfriend, who was picked up on a warrant.  We drank vodka and cranberry juice and talked about this.  She seemed a bit abrupt and overly excited.  I figured she was making gestures towards bed, which I was a bit uncomfortable with being that she really wasn't all that good looking, seemed fucked on something, and seeing how it was supposed to be my first night in the room.

She put on a Heart CD and danced like a lunatic, I danced too but just to have fun, really wondering what I had gotten myself into.  Thankfully her baby started crying, and the two other kids woke up.  Even they really wondered what the hell was going on.  She tended to the child, which was actually a thrilling thing to witness, seeing that afterwards she passed out on the floor.  I told her awake kids to make sure she laid on her side, because if she threw up she could choke.  I was drunk, but not on speed and pills and a fifth of vodka like the one on the floor.

Thankfuly somebody called the ambulance.  I would have but the sherrifs in the mountains are notoriously and cartoonishly disgusting.  My aunt got beaten in front of her house by one once, not to mention my other aunt who got arrested for being outside.

The next time I spoke with her she said that her ten year old niece had moved into the room from Imperial Valley.  Well, ok.

Really I wonder as a point of clarification at this point just what the hell is involved in doing something normal and human, like renting a room in the mountains.  Apparently all this was, I didn't get the place, and now I am moving on.  I might go back to Moonridge, but probably this time I will look for a studio.  I just want to be alone and write and listen to music and maybe watch birds for awhile.  This has been impossible for about a year.  People are always around.  It makes me figure that for awhile there was something wrong with the universe where a thirty year old man on a budget can't be alone.  I was actively trying.

No comments:

Post a Comment