Sunday, February 15, 2015

Belated Valentine's Day Poem

Roses are red
Violets are purple

i love you
how are you?

go outside and breathe the morning in
and maybe appreciate the sun for me
as i appreciated you, too
for the Earth would have been a cataclysm
of earthquakes and fire
had I never seen you looking at me
so you know
this is for all of you
even the suave police officer
who smashed my face into bulletproof glass once
because i know there was pain
like an arrow through a heart
so lets get over that, yeah?

but i should say with a whistle and a tongue click
that my favorite people
were and are the mad ones
since they know how to inflect in musics that are surprising and Good
and Alive and Lovely

so go out and sing to someone with a small note of music and thrill
they probably do love you too
and the ones that left
they probably still love you still

maybe we will find Tomorrow
in our conceptions of Hatred as mere annoyance
instead of not enough Love
but I'll tell you tomorrow
if you let me put a sticker on your back bumper
that says "Smile, your parents loved each other and you
and it was the same with the rest of us
so go out and love somebody too
let them drive you insane
so that we all wake up singing, yeah?

No comments:

Post a Comment