Sunday, January 19, 2014

Dark Ages

Old drawings in journals
about how one could live in a well
off of its water,
eating only divine mushrooms
that are reminiscent of witches
in that palpable sense
of the Dark Ages,
converted into taste
without the inherent synethesia of attribution,
but more just written thoughts
of poor ones locked in ancient stone towers
for some misconstrued
and therefore grievous offense
against God and King.

I had thoughts that I would save my own life
if I were some outcast woman
because as a male
I would rather die,
not being afforded
the svelte mystery of long and mottled dark robes
on horseback in the long night 
of pitch black forest,
brambles tugging 
as I galloped from forsaken Kingdom
to forsaken Kingdom,
no weapon
but a pittance of silver.  

Gallows are even,
counterbalanced even with trap door
and the worst part 
is that kicking paired with the slow filth
of rough hewn wood and unkempt rope.

I don't even think of such things anymore,
they are just there
like our prison system,
showing the world both that people don't know how to punish themselves,
that, or they don't do it enough

Raven feather
scrawling in old leather bound books
while old men bitch
when they should be proud of their scars and pain,
as though they were the sentencings of Heresy.

I will keep my Ulcer, my Crescent Scars
and forget them only when I pick Rosemary from the Earth,
I will not pray 
because it is better 
to wear a hood lined with fur while using old boots on crackled stone
on those cold outcast evenings
where it is all just about being Alive.

No comments:

Post a Comment